Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chapter 4

“[Continuous diagnostic assessment] is a way for the teacher to assess growth by gathering data about students’ unaided performance in the text that is used for guided contextual reading. In this way, assessment occurs during an instructional setting, a critical aspect of diagnostic teaching.” Pg. 59

I think that this is a very important aspect of teaching, not only for a reading specialist/teacher but also for teachers in all subject areas. Often times in our graduate classes we discuss the enormous amount of assessments and standardized tests that students must take, no matter what their reading level. It seems that students who we think are struggling readers are often tested even more often to see if the teacher can pinpoint where the student needs help. I think a lot of students who are struggling readers grow to hate assessments that feel like they are tests. I believe that assessing students in their natural instructional setting is helpful for the student and might even bring out more accurate results.

“[During familiar text time] the interactions, among the teacher, the student, and the text provide a safety net for making and correcting mistakes, in turn increasing the active engagement of readers.” Pg. 61

I think that this piece of the diagnostic teaching session is vital for student engagement. In order to learn more about a certain topic or strategy one must experience it multiple times. Even television shows, I have noticed that students can quote characters from television as if they were the most important things on Earth. They get to know these phrases by watching/experiencing the specific show over and over again. This idea should work with text as well. I think that using older, familiar texts will help students to practice their skills with familiar material, making it less stressful for the student.

“Continuous diagnostic assessment allows the diagnostic teacher to collect a sample of reading behavior prior to or after instruction…these samples of reading behavior allow the diagnostic teacher to develop hypotheses about the changing reading needs of the students.” Pg. 61

These forms of assessment I think not only assess student progress in reading but also assess the level of instruction. Through continuous assessment, the diagnostic teacher is always aware of where his/her students stand. From these assessments one can determine if the student is benefiting from instruction or if a different route should be taken. For example, when the teacher feels the student has mastered enough skills and strategies to move up to a new reading level the teacher might assess the student to see if he/she is independent at their current level. If the assessment shows that the student is not independent at yet, more instruction needs to be done, the teacher cannot simply move forward.

“”During guided contextual reading, the diagnostic teacher differentiates instruction according to learner strengths. The ultimate goal is to focus on reading in connected text that will allow the students to integrate their prior knowledge with the text and to develop personal interpretations.” Pg. 65

This process is very much like guided reading in the comprehensive literacy model. During guided reading with students, we meet with small groups of students to work on skills and strategies while reading the same text. There are before, during, and after reading lesson plans. Walker says that GCR is based on the comprehensive literacy model; I am wondering how are they different? It seems as though the teacher is working with one individual student during GCR, where in guided reading it is a small group setting. Also, skill instruction is a separate piece of the diagnostic teaching session.

“Personal reading and writing allows time for students to define their literacy interest, to read and write for their own purposes, and to read and write without failing because they establish their purposes. In this way, they are defining themselves as literate individuals.” Pg. 69

I really like that the diagnostic teaching session allows time for personalized literacy. I think that students value reading and writing more when they get to have a say in what they read or write about. In this age of scripted programs and uniform curriculums I don’t know how much time teachers actually have for this stage, but I feel it is necessary. One day when I was subbing in an 8th grade ELA room, the students had some left over time, so I allowed them to either independently read or write. At first they moaned and groaned because they still had to do work, but then students began to become interested. A small group of girls wrote poems about their personal lives and shared them with me. This was some of the best work I had ever seen these girls do! I think this stage allows students to remember why reading and writing are so important in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment